Monday, September 21, 2009

100 Days of Practice, Day 83: The Amazing Never-Slow-Downer

The Amazing Never-Slow-Downer. That's me. Move over, shareware, make way for the Tasmanian Jezebel. Actually, keep scootching over, because we've also got a new little devil to contend with. I shall call her Maxine.

Her sweet and sexy voice now silenced, Maxine is sleeping just inside our front door, in a curvy black box that smells like the floorboards of a historic house. Ah, to watch her rest. She is slim, sleek, and yet voluptuous. She sparkles in the light. She is a little brass monster. She is my new ball and chain. She is a euphonium.

Oh my GOD. Omigodomigodomigod. Oh. My. God. I have a new instrument to practice.

I promise to love her every day. I promise to post pictures. I promise to post audio.

Because life was too simple, with just the whistle, Irish flute, silver flute, alto sax, and baritone sax. Now, we have euphonium. We have Maxine.

Adore her. Love her while she lasts--for a day, or perhaps a week. At the very least, until she and I stand before our master in judgment, and together, deliver "Row Row Row Your Boat" in delightful unison, me sending the breath and pressing the valves, and she singing in her earthy baritone.

Presenting Maxine. They're so cute when they're little, no?:

No comments: