Monday, October 5, 2009

100 Days of Practice, Day 97: Photos

Most kids walk into our house and see the big piano, and run to it. Bang the keys. A real piano! Such a novelty! Someone asked us if our kid had expressed interest in it yet. No... I actually don't think she notices it, despite the fact that it's only slightly smaller than our elephantine couch. So, what piques her interest, you ask? I found out today. Because today I did something very, very unusual. I ironed. Imagine the next ten hours: "Yes, for the hundredth time... we will find a toy iron for you..."

But that's just kid stuff (albeit fun!). The grownup stuff is studio work. Finished our third day yesterday with six songs partially done, and two incredible percussion tracks courtesy of Salil Sachdev. All of this possible because Godmother Extraordinaire/Sister Incroyable flew up from DC to frolic with Mini Me for three full days, while Big Me and Other Me toiled at the microphones. Some gals have all the luck. We count ourselves tres fortunate to have such family.

Here are a few scenes from yesterday's work. Here, Small Fry sits behind a microphone that is worth more than Mommy's car. Now, forgive me on the layout here. The photo layout on Blogger.com boggles my mind, but you can put 2 and 2 together... Check out the photo of the stuff in the control room. I have no idea what it is, but the blinking lights were captivating. Gearheads, I hear the pitter patter of your hearts--but the gear has nothing to do with it. It's the expertise, and we just can't really say this enough: engineer Rob Pemberton is The Man. Somebody's gotta know how to work it, and also how to work us. And therein lies the artistry.
And let's not forget Salil. God bless Salil. Look at this instrument, a water drum that Salil brought back from Africa. Water-filled gourds lend positively mystical sound to "One Last Cold Kiss"...


Very interesting things are happening. Can't wait to share the finished project with you...

2 comments:

Peig said...

day 97

pales in comparison to soul momma

tonite MBB out so I get the whole evening to my self and my silver friend.

tommorrow, 1st session without soul momma and a perfect ending to my 100 days........

Shannon said...

can't believe it's already day 97! Wow, great job, Sue...