Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 215: Thinking with Your Heart

Typically we place our thinking place in our heads. What if we reoriented ourselves, and physically moved our thinking place to our hearts? Now do me a favor and try that with your practice--whatever your practice may be. Spend 20 minutes doing your practice activity, with a conscious focus on your thoughts coming directly from the center of your chest, at your breastbone, rather than from your head, where most of us in this culture orient our thoughts.

Does everything change?

It did for me. My shoulders relaxed, my body felt more spacious, my fingers worked better, and I finished the session by writing a jig dedicated to my sweet girl, who looked so joyous and beautiful as she ran across a playground today that it made me cry.

Let me know what you discover.

1 comment:

Debra Murphy said...

I bet it's the sweetest jig ever, and when you play it in the future, say, 20 years from now, it will still make you smile, and cry ;-)