Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 223: The Pigeon on a Gate

Well, good morning to you!*

I haven't had my coffee yet, but the Wizard in the Woods has commanded this tune, and so the Bardesse shall oblige. Wanna learn a new tune? Try this, below. It's the Pigeon on a Gate.

Techies, alert: I don't even know what kind of whistle I played this on. It's early and the rest of the house is asleep, so I grabbed the most quiet looking one out of my whistle jar, and started playing. It might be a Generation? It might be a Walton's? It might be a newer Feadog... it's gold and green.

And, now, techies, if you think that was bad, now it's time to take a valium. As it turns out, Blogger doesn't seem to let one post audio, so I had to make movies. So... I am using iMovie for the first time ever, and I admit that this, my first attempt, is of the "Gramma Got a Computer" quality. In other words, my three year old will be able to do better in about a year. For now, enjoy some random scenery and stills from our November trip to Ireland, while you listen to a version of this tune that is a composite of versions learned from two different fiddler friends, Nikki Engstrom and Eddie Murray. Nothing fancy, but it gives you the tune nice and slowly.

Here's the "learning" version of the tune. It goes a little something like this...



Here's the full-speed version, with lots of cemeteries. (I blame the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying for this recent preoccupation.) Again, nothing fancy, but at least a representation of the tune.



And, no, I'm not giving you the letter notes for this tune, because it's much better to learn by ear. Let this be a reminder that although I am occasionally funny, I'm not at all nice.

~~~~~~~~
*I actually wrote this at 6:30 am today, but didn't get to upload this post until midday.

No comments: